Sunday, June 16, 2013

1922 Europe Journal, Part 1: New York

Ruth's Passport Photo

Please excuse my little absence from the blogging world! I’ve been focusing on my photography for a little while.

Recently, I found myself working on my Grandma’s trip to Europe in 1922. Again. I’ve transcribed, scanned, researched and designed off and on for... over ten years. (I KNOW! Just finish it already!) But here’s the thing... the joy comes from the journey - and I’m living it as I research. This was not a short little trip. We’re talking three months, four women, and several ships, trains, cars, and busses. Oh, and a biplane. And icebergs! (We’ll get to that.)

On June 13, 1922, my grandma, Ruth, and three of her “besties” left a small town in Wisconsin (where they were all teachers), on a train to New York via Chicago. This is where her journal starts. Her handwritten journal turned out to be about 27 pages typed single-spaced. These ladies go on trips like they’ve met my husband - the tours and history is amazing and non-stop. 

So here’s what I’m going to do...

I’m going to post updates every few days to parallel the action 91 years ago. Today I’ll set up the scene and get them to New York, ready to depart for France.

June 13 - 17, 1922, Wisconsin to New York
Arriving in New York around 5:30 p.m. on June 14, they checked into the Hotel Savoy and went to the theater to see Captain Applejack. On June 15, they saw Eddie Cantor in Make it Snappy at the Winter Garden and Baileff Chauve-Sauris [I translated as “The Bat”] at the Century Roof Theater. “It was mighty unique and interesting.” There was some more touring and walking on June 16: Wall Street [where they saw evidence of the 1920 bombings], Trinity Church, and St. Paul’s Chapel. They went to see Blossom Time at the Ambassador that evening. “The music was lovely - more inspiration.” [Blossom Time is based on the life of Franz Schubert.]

Get a good nights sleep... tomorrow they board the Majestic and head for France.

No comments:

Post a Comment