Monday, June 17, 2013

1922 Europe Journal, Part 2: On Board the Majestic from New York to France


“Saturday, June 17, This morning we got up about 7:30 to be sure to get everything ready and in order.” Ruth and her girlfriends proceeded to board the Majestic and find their staterooms. Remember the Titanic? Yes, well the Majestic is a sister ship of the Titanic - sailing just ten years after that disaster. I wonder if that entered their minds at all - it was never mentioned. As they settle in on the ship, Ruth writes, “We have already met the S. P. - at least that is who we have dubbed him. There are lots of S. M.’s on Board. We have some sized up already. Wonder how many have us cataloged and filed.” Guessing here, we think S. M.’s are Single Men, as these four ladies were all single at the time. As for the S. P., we do not know.

“June 18. After a desperate effort, I succeeded in coming to life this morning. Had a grand sleep.” She then mentions walking the decks, playing bridge, and getting some mail.



June 19 brings another late morning of sleep. They played a game called quoits that seems like a common deck game. Ruth notes that the weather has been warm, but they are constantly warned that it will turn cooler.

June 20 brings more of the same and, “Saw a whale this morning. At least I saw the spout made by it.” 

June 21: “Got dressed just in time for lunch. Walked the deck for a time after lunch and was collared by the S. P. He tried to make me believe that I was beautiful. My imagination absolutely refuses to stretch that far. We ditched him to go and play bridge.”  Oh grandma! That makes me laugh every time. Those who know me might begin to see where I get some of my humor :) Ruth sent a “Marconigram” to her sister, who was about to be married in Wisconsin. Later that evening, they ran across some West Point fellows and wandered to the upper decks to watch the “first classers dance."


No comments:

Post a Comment